Aaron Cummings is a business litigation attorney who focuses his practice on litigation matters including breach of contract actions, commercial disputes, business tort cases, and government contracts. He has successfully represented Fortune 100 companies, state governments, hedge funds, emerging technology companies, and nonprofit organizations in high-stakes litigation at the trial and appellate level in state and federal courts and has negotiated more than $300 million in favorable settlements for his clients.
Before joining Protorae Law, Aaron practiced complex civil litigation at Cooper & Kirk, PLLC, a litigation boutique in Washington, DC. Aaron also has significant experience in the corporate, nonprofit, and government sectors. He served as the General Counsel and Chief Operating Officer of one of the largest nonprofit charitable foundations in the United States and worked for JetBlue Airway’s legal department. Additionally, Aaron has worked at the White House, on a Presidential Transition Team, and for the Honorable Thomas B. Griffith of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
Aaron received his law degree from the University of Virginia School of Law and his Bachelor of Arts from Brigham Young University. He is a member of the Virginia State Bar, the District of Columbia Bar, the Virginia Bar Association, and the Fairfax Bar Association.
Aaron lives in Silver Spring, Maryland with his wife and four children.
- Represented an international telecommunications company, winning the second-largest jury verdict in the Commonwealth of Virginia in 2015, in a suit involving claims for misappropriation of trade secrets, business conspiracy, and tortious interference with contracts
- Represented 38 members of the 2006 Duke Lacrosse Team and their families in a suit against Duke University and the City of Durham, negotiating a favorable settlement
- Successfully represented a major nonprofit in a litigation matter in which hundreds of millions of dollars were at stake and negotiated a significant, favorable settlement
- Represented a medical technology company in a breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets case, resulting in a favorable settlement
Honors and Awards
- 2017, 2016 Rising Star – Business Litigation, Super Lawyers, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: THE RESULTS OF ALL CLIENT MATTERS DEPEND ON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH MATTER. PAST SUCCESSES DO NOT PREDICT OR GUARANTEE FUTURE SUCCESSES.